Saturday 9 March 2013

Fully collated, Inducted and Installed!

What is a collation? I had to look it up when I read the order of service 'for the Collation, Induction and Installation' of The Rector2B.  It sounds rather like something to do with boiler services and I am still uncertain as to why it was a 'collation' but despite that, it was a very happy evening. After the beautiful weather we have been having, Dorset chose to blanket us in fog for the evening. The fog did not stop the church being full of friends from North, South and Mid Devon who had chosen to travel some distance to share the evening with The Rector2B. Our house was full of family and this made it a very memorable and special occasion. Now the rectory is beginning to hold our memories and this helps to make it feel like our home.

The service was full of symbolism as The Rector was led round the church after accepting the 'cure of souls'. He poured water into the font, was presented with a bible, a Chalice and Paten, rang the bell and on being Inducted and Installed, his hand was placed on the church door before being given a large church key by the Churchwarden. The Churchwarden said " Receive the key of the church in token of the responsibilities which we share." - On Friday afternoon, this churchwarden was knocking on our front door because the key had gone missing and they couldn't unlock the the church that it belonged too!! (You will be pleased to know that it has since be found.)

The Rector@6 and his sister outside the church where the service took place.
It was such a happy evening - I felt so much better than I did at his Ordination as Deacon - then I fought back tears, wondering what the future held for us and thinking that I was losing my husband to the church and losing our future together. This time, I felt a completeness - and I was in no doubt that we were in the right place (however scary that seems at times). I am learning to live 'in the now' and to expore the opportunities as they open up. The battle to get the rectory updated has been fought and, while we still feel bruised from this, it is time to settle and put down roots. I am planting out the garden that came with us in pots. I am adding the new plants from The Rector's sister and my sister so that I can look out at the garden and know this is where we truely belong (for now).


The Rector is no longer 'The Rector2B' but has become 'The Rector@6' as he is now the rector to six rural Dorset churches. We are looking forward to getting to know them all.


5 comments:

  1. I'm sure it was a very special evening in many ways, and that special memories were made. May God bless you both as you set out on the path He has given you, for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support and kind words Bonnie.

      Delete
  2. An unforgettable occasion, Harriet, and I wish you and the now fully-fledged Rector every blessing in your new parishes. A pity about the fog (we had it here too) but the support of family, friends and new parishioners must have been so encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful posting ... emotional and humourous all at once. God bless this new chapter of your lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you - life is so busy at the moment Blogging has been put on the back burner but I do appreciate your comments.

      Delete